Sunday, March 18, 2012

Baby-led weaning and weird vagina shaped mirrors in hair salon

First off, I've been trying to take a photo of these wacky vagina shaped mirrors in a hair salon around the corner from my house, but during the day it's always buzzing with Portuguese ladies getting their hair did.  Sundays it's closed, so I finally got to snap this pic.

seriously!?  
I'm just started reading/skimming a cook called The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook. I checked it out as an ebook from the Toronto Public Library. 


(As of right now it looks as if Toronto's librarians will be on strike starting tomorrow. Voice your support for Toronto's incredible library system and it's librarian's here.)

You can find an in depth review of the book here.

For those of you who aren't familiar with it, baby-led weaning is an approach to introducing solid food  where you skip the pureeing stage and start the baby immediately on whole foods, preferably foods that the rest of the family is eating. The baby feeds herself, picking up the pieces, exploring the food with her hands and her mouth. 

We've just started Ivy on solids a few weeks ago and I've been steaming and blending and filling ice cube trays with little wee servings of fruits and veg, feeding Ivy with a spoon.  I do like how BLW allows the baby to feed themselves, choosing what and how much they want to eat. I also love how it allows they baby to get down and dirty with the food, feeling the different textures and figuring out how to manage foods of different shapes and textures. But wow, does that seem like it would make for very messy, and long, meals.

I think I'd like to try to do a combo of both approaches. Tomorrow at breakfast I'll skip the oatmeal baby cereal and smooshed banana I've been feeding Ivy and try some toast and pieces of apple. I'll let you know how it goes.  

Have any of you tried baby-led weaning?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...